"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places." Eph 6:12
The Turner's & Daughter Apostle Kimberly Turner
For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against the spiritual wickedness in the high places.
As a matter of public record, the deed to Belview Baptist Church was recorded on October 7, 1882. However, Belview Baptist Church, as it is named today, was originally called Bush Arbor. Then the name was changed to Piney Grove, then Locust Grove Baptist Church and now Belview Baptist Church Inc. In 1885, The church founders were Hill Trollinger and family, Matt Bower and family, The Tarpley family, Charles Bason and wife, Liz Adams, John Rogers and wife, Laesena Mebane, Haywood Bason and John Harding. The first place of worship was called Bush Arbor. Services at Locust Grove were held in a tent in a field near Newlin Farm in Haw River, NC. After two years of having services in a tent the Lord blessed and they built a one room church. After the Church was built, Rev. Cornelius Brown was the first Pastor of the Church. They had three deacons at the time. They were Hill Trollinger, Mat Bower, and John Harding. They also had a section in that one- room church for Sunday school where they taught children.
A little history, Haw River was settle by a German Immigrant who moved from Pennsylvania to Haw River by the name of Adam Drollinger, later changed to Trollinger as German sentiment at the time was not positive. In 1879, Belview was founded by Hill Trollinger, who at the time donated the land on which it stands. Hill Trollinger was a slave. In those days upon the releasing of the slaves they often took the sur names of the masters under which they were born if not given the option to choose their own. Once the slaves were freed, some left but those that stayed only wanted a place to worship God. Belview or Bush Harbor at the time was founded as a rural or country church and it still is today. In some historical documents it is said that the very ground that the church is standing is where the first slaves were freed, the first court house. As the church continued to grow, it became the beginning point for the growth of other churches in the area. We are very proud that this church had the opportunity to aid in formation and growth of other churches.
In the early years there was not much money. But God blessed the pennies that children gave in Sunday school and the few dollars that were taken up in Sunday Service and that little became much in that Masters hands. At first services were held once a month. But people who were members of the church had organized the choirs and would have their meetings during the week. The deacons were instrumental in working with the members when the Pastors was not available. We have to remember in that time in rural areas, the churches would only meet once or twice a month. On other Sunday’s congregations would visit their sister churches and would always help one another. The church was the basis of the neighborhood. Back then, whatever went on in one if the neighboring churches, everyone would go, help, fellowship, and worship with them. That church would always return the favor, a tradition that still holds up today.
At the time we were growing, much like anywhere else there was no restroom nor on site source of drinking water. Members carried water from neighbors up the road and everyone drank from one dipper, today unheard of but God has blessed. At revival services or any other times when meals were served, there were long tables that were used. There were a lot of trees in the yard and the tables were built from one tree to another. There were seven tables and the ladies would cover those with tablecloths as they prepared and served the meals. As meals were served on the ground it was always a joyous and good time. God blessed and meals were always plentiful in times when many were without. In November of 1915, G. B. Bason and wife deeded land to Locust Grove Baptist church. According to the cornerstone on our present church building, Rev. W. H. Inman was serving and the name was changed to Belview Baptist church circa 1916. Rev. Cornelius Brown was the first Pastor of a then Bush harbor. It is not know the years that this church went by the other names. Other Pastors were Rev. Troxler, Rev. Bob Bower, Rev. Owens, Rev. Chambers, Rev Buie, who served for over 40 years and Now our Current Pastor Elder Alex Turner Jr.
We look back and remember the years and growth of this church. It is not the name of the church that we remember, the name has changed many times. We look back at the actually church, the people, the ones that Labored, worshiped, and prayed so, that we are reaping the blessing today. Because if their faith, their willingness to take care of Gods house, to help Gods people, God has continued to bless all these years later. We stand on the promises of God and the prayers of those that have come before us, most of whose decadence are members of the church today. We rest our feet in a building that is years old but still standing. Running water, re-furbished bathrooms, and a kitchen to cook the meals that fill the tables that like in the beginning years, we eat on and fellowship with one another. And still after over 100 years like the first tent that was put up by the slaves that were freed, the saints, the body of Christ, would gather together with no alter for prayer, today God has bless us with a solid alter built out of those prayers. We thank God for the same anointing that still blankets the land and church today. Although there are those that have come and gone, God has never left, has never wavered. Even through trails and obstacles God has been forever faithful to his people, a fulfiller of his word. Faithful to those that are faithful to him providing for his people through these 137 years. Here at Belview our Deacons, Teachers, Ministers, and Musicians were not pursued outside of these church walls but were once babies and children trained up under the same word as those that inhabited this church before us and took their place when God deemed so. Raised right in the mist. God has blessed us with leadership that teach the word God, not tainted by the forever changing ways of this world, but in the way he intended, unchanging, iron clade, full of his promises, running over with life. We thank God for years of growth, family, blessings, miracles, love, and his continuous grace and mercy. To God be the Glory